Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Oppenheimer Report 5/20/14


With Roger Stacey (center) - photo by Shauna Leigh Taylor

I apologize to my twelve loyal readers that this week’s report is a day late, but we just returned from a road trip to the States, and I did not have the opportunity to write yesterday. Last Thursday, Shauna, Jasper and I headed down to Watertown, Connecticut to attend my 40th reunion at The Taft School, and I am so happy she was able to join me for this momentous event. While I’m not entirely sure she was thrilled about the 13 hour drive down, it was important that she accompany me on this important milestone occasion, and she was a good sport. This reunion meant she was introduced to a bunch of complete strangers, and that can be off putting, but she handled it with grace and charm.


 Some of you may recall my Oppenheimer Report recollections of the 35th reunion back in 2009, wherein I expressed my trepidation about returning to face my peers after so many years away from the school. 2009 was not a banner year for me, and I felt that perhaps the majority of my classmates had accomplished far more in their lives than had I. Maybe they had, I don’t know. Success is an elusive concept to me, and class reunions underscore the ambiguity of the term. Are we successful because we earn a lot of money? I have not. Are we successful because we successfully raise children? Again, I have not, although Shauna and I have a good marriage, and will celebrate our 20th Anniversary in nine days. But I have started to let myself off the hook about this. After the 35th I realized that life is a kick in the ass for everyone, and it is how we deal with adversity that shapes us. I know that I have tried hard to be a good person and to do right by my parents and friends, and I am confident that I am still growing.  I like the man I am today better than the man I was five years ago, and I see great potential for my future.


I take pride in feeling I was the motivating influence to get some of my more reluctant classmates to attend this reunion, and I was delighted to reunite with them. Several I have not seen or heard from in 40 years. One classmate said it best: we all look different – some more than others - but the eyes are the same. The personalities that drew me to my friends are still intact, despite the ravages of time and circumstance, and it was comforting to know these people whom I have not seen in so long are still my friends. Especially in a boarding school, as fellow inmates, I and my classmates shared some life-changing experiences. It is an unexpected pleasure to discover that I enjoy the company of some classmates I did not know in school. High school is an awkward time for most of us, and given the passage of time I found myself more open to friendship with these people with whom I had not associated in school. After all, we did share our adolescence together.


I would be remiss if I did not mention that I had the opportunity to see and visit with my favorite English teacher at Taft. He was certainly one of the reasons I love to write and aspire to persevere and improve my writing skills. He is also a reminder to me how important education is to a child’s future. Although a child of privilege, I was a handful at 16, and I could easily have fallen off the tracks had I not been steered in a better direction. Without knowing it, and simply by being a strong role model and a good teacher, Roger Stacey guided me towards something I love to do, and I will be forever in his debt for that. While I never made my living as a writer, it has been and is something I will always love to do, and I feel confident that it is one of the things that sustains me in my moments of self-doubt.       


Finally, and on that last subject, I got to talking with one of my classmates who has written a self-help book called Gumptionade (www.gumptionade.com).  Not unlike me, he had a spiritual crisis a while back, and writing that book was perhaps his pro-active solution to that existential struggle. We talked about “good” suffering and “bad” suffering, and that was meaningful to me. Good suffering is therapy, and the general pursuit of self-awareness, while an example of bad suffering is self-medication. Having recently quit booze, I understood that. I intend to read his book soon. Getting back to that elusive concept of success, perhaps that is what success has become for me. I have begun to focus on something I love to do, and that has had a ripple effect in other aspects of my life. I communicate better, which means I am able to purge my sometimes toxic thoughts and emotions before they consume me (bad suffering). I am writing better songs, and with a little luck, I might even achieve some of that elusive recognition I so craved when I began that journey. Regardless, it will always be the journey which sustains me. To all the classmates at Taft whom I have come to know, thank you for your friendship. Keep in touch, and I hope to see you again soon!!



Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2014 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
  

No comments: