Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The OppenheimerReport - 12/17/08


I just returned from Buffalo where I very much enjoyed the celebration of my Aunt Bobbi’s 86th, along with some relatives I have not seen in a long time. It was good to reunite with those people, to see children I remember as rug rats now all grown up, and to catch up on the lives of people with whom I have lost touch. I’m making every effort to spend more time in Buffalo these days. It seems to make my parents happy, and I’ve been conspicuously absent from Buffalo for much of the past two years. I don’t want to look back when they are no longer around and feel as if I could have spent more time with them. Given that Dad is 98 and Mom is 89, there is a lot of down time during my visits. Both of them sleep a lot during the day, so I use that time to do some of the much-needed repairs on their big house. I delude myself into thinking that if I make some of these repairs to the house then I am somehow redeeming myself as a son. And what do they call that river in Egypt?

As we close in on Christmas, I recently had occasion to visit a Future Shop electronics store in Toronto. I was looking for a “Bluetooth” headset, as it is now illegal to use a cell phone in my car without one. I ended up buying a very inexpensive one at one of the 629 discount computer stores near our apartment, but my visit to Future Shop was a reminder of just how out of step I have become with the relentless march of progress. By the way, it was hard to believe that we are in the middle of an economic crisis, judging from the large number of customers in that store. I still own an old VCR, even though almost everyone else has switched to DVD. My parents even have a DVD player; they don’t know how to use it but they have one. I was the last person to buy a CD player, stubbornly clinging to my cassette and record players, until it became virtually impossible to find new music in any other medium. As for video, I figured I would wait to buy a DVD player until the recorders came down in price. Once again, I must have missed the mark. Actually, I may be ahead of the curve, because it looks as if there is a new kid on the block, and his name is Blue Ray. I have no idea what blue ray technology is, but I think it is designed to replace conventional DVD players. They change this video and audio stuff more often than Canada Post raises the price of their postage stamps. And as for cell phones, fuggetabottit.

Finally, in the I-m-Mad-As-Hell-But-What-Can-I-Do-About-It-Anyway department, I need to rant for a moment about that Bernie Madoff (with the goods) guy, bilking investors out of $50 Billion in perhaps the world’s biggest Ponzi scheme. On top of the unfathomable enormity of the crime, the part that sends me into a convulsive, twitching, frenzied, frothing fit of indignation is that he will serve whatever term he receives under house arrest … in his SEVEN MILLION DOLLAR Manhattan apartment! It wasn’t all that long ago that we hung a person for stealing a horse; why aren’t we crucifying this guy?? It seems to me that he symbolizes everything that has gone wrong with our society. This man was at one time the Chairman of the Board of NASDAQ, and an esteemed member of the investment community! Do you think maybe the SEC dropped the ball on this one? I’m thinking perhaps a public gelding, followed by a brief stoning, and finally a hydrochloric acid enema. My goodness, I thought that Koslowski guy was bad, and of course those thieves at Enron and Adelphia, but this guy is the “Greed and Avarice” bell ringer. Seriously folks, how do you suppose the French Revolution got started? And what do I want for Chanukah? Madoff’s posh Manhattan apartment, sold to the highest bidder. Let that rat bastard live in a card board box for the next ten winters. Oh, by the way, Happy Holidays!
Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2008 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: