Monday, September 08, 2008

The Oppenheimer Report 9/8/08


This week, the hurricane to watch is Ike. It walloped Cuba as a Category 3 hurricane and, while it has been downgraded to a “1”, tracking models presently predict it will cross the Gulf of Mexico, where it will likely pick up steam before nailing the Gulf coast somewhere around Texas. At present, it will likely not threaten the Keys, but it may wreck a few oil rigs in the northwestern part of the gulf. Of course, no one really knows exactly where it will hit the coast until it becomes an imminent threat on Thursday or Friday. What amazes me is the cavalier attitude of the Key Westers in Florida, who in large part chose to ignore evacuation orders in advance of Ike’s potential damaging winds. Granted, experienced, long time residents of the Keys have ridden out a lot of storms, and perhaps they are good at following the weather. Still, if a big one does hit, and they don’t get out, they’re really screwed. There’s only one road in and out, and that won’t be an option once the winds pick up. Apparently, there was a huge storm that hit Key West back in the 30’s, and the storm surge was about 18 feet. To put that into perspective, Key West is about 4 feet above sea level, so anther fourteen feet of water probably did some serious damage. Now fast forward 78 years, and imagine how much more populated the island is today. Remember the how many people perished after that earthquake-generated tsunami in Indonesia? By the way, has anybody else noticed how short our attention span is for the devastating tragedies in other parts of the world … places like Myanmar, Indonesia, and China? I guarantee you this; if Ike makes a direct hit on Key West, and blindsides the entire population of that community, we’ll hear about it ad nauseam on every Western news channel for the next three months. Katrina was horrible, and what happened in New Orleans was truly a tragedy. Still, do not the laws of gravity apply in America, as they do elsewhere? The city is built well below sea level for heaven’s sake. Who build’s a city, in a hurricane-prone region, below sea level? It makes no sense. And if you do preside over a community like that, in the (arguably) richest nation in the world, is it not your responsibility to protect your citizens with massive, steel-reinforced concrete levees and mandatory escape plans? I’m talking about the State of Louisiana here. It constantly amazes me that, with all the advances in technology and forecasting, with all the improvements in construction, and with all the recorded history we have from which to learn, we are still largely at the mercy of the elements, and still making the same mistakes. Nature is a mother and she takes no prisoners.

The other day, as I pulled into the driveway of our new, unfinished home, I noticed an animal lounging in the middle of the road. Upon closer inspection I realized it was a fox. It got up and slowly trotted away as I approached, but I found that strange. When I came back up the driveway hours later, there it was again, lying in the middle of the road. I got out my camera and took some pictures of it. I’ve never seen a fox that wasn’t wary of humans, and my immediate concern was that it was rabid. When I got home, I called the wildlife control department in Bracebridge and told them of my concern. The wildlife representative to me that rabies is not a big problem up in the Muskokas, and that the fox was, judging by my description, probably just hanging out it (chillin’) in what it deemed to be a non-threatening environment. It did look like it might be pretty old; maybe it just didn’t care anymore. Still, I didn’t want it to turn into the first fox road kill I’ve ever seen. The wildlife guy told me that I could live trap it and bring it to a wildlife center, where they would test it and, if necessary, put it to sleep. That sounded like a lot of trouble and involved about 100 miles of driving. I guess, like the Key Westers, and all the rest of us whom I include in the clueless population “category”, I’ll roll the dice and let Mother Nature call the shots. After all, one way or another, she will anyhow.
Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2008 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: