Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Oppenheimer Report 1/14/08




During the winter, I like to ice skate. When we were living in Toronto, I skated on the outdoor rink next to City Hall, and that was fun. In general, I prefer to skate on outdoor rinks, but up here in Burk’s Falls, there is an indoor arena within walking distance of our rental home. Open skating is free, and I try to get over there once a week. These days, my exercise consists mainly of walking the dog, and walking into town to pick up the newspaper. Ice skating is a better way to burn some calories. Yesterday, I went over for my weekly skate, and there was a sign out in front of the arena advertising that the Burk’s Falls Winterfest was taking place inside. I’m always up for an adventure, so I went inside. I was greeted by one of the members of the Town council, asking me for two bucks; a small price to pay in order to attend this entertainment bonanza. For my money, I received a “Pete the Bear” admission pin. Pete used to be a Burk’s Falls mascot, before he succumbed to the evils of drugs and rock ‘n roll. There were a lot of people in the arena, but most of them were milling about eating french fries and hotdogs. I put on my ear buds, cranked up the Pink Floyd, and began my rigorous 20 minute workout on the ice. The few skaters that were on the ice were tiny tots on double runners, moms, dads, and a small gang of reckless ten year-olds. I find that latter group particularly challenging, because their actions are so unpredictable. I skated for a while, dodging adolescent obstacles and weaving around the slower skaters. I was quite proud of myself because, not to be immodest, I felt I was a much better skater than most of the ten year-olds out there. When I was about ready to take my last lap, I noticed that one of the mothers was handing out gift bags to various kids, prizes I suppose for winning a race or something. I thought that was nice. As I was getting ready to skate off the ice, I heard someone behind me calling “Sir … hello! … sir! …” and it was one of the mothers, chasing after me with a gift bag in her hand. I took off my earphones, and she said to me, and I quote: “We’re giving out a prize to the youngest and oldest person out on the ice today, and we’ve decided you’re the oldest.” I thought perhaps I was going to win a prize for being a good skater, but it was because I was, in their estimation, the oldest skater out there. I didn’t know exactly how to feel about that – it appeared to me as if some of the other people out on the ice might have been older than I, but I politely, if reluctantly, accepted the gift. I guess it’s official: I’m old.

Months ago, I mentioned that I’d finally had a proper demo made of one of my songs. That song is “Strange Holiday” and if you’re interested, you can click on the “Jamie’s Songs” link on this blog site and check it out on MySpace Music. The song is performed by my friend Bobby Cameron, and I hope you’ll give it a listen; Bobby’s got a great voice, and boy, can he play the guitar. He’s also a good songwriter in his own right, and I feel honored that he agreed to cover one of my tunes. I’m not sure you’ll find my songs on ITunes anytime soon, but one never knows.

It never ceases to amaze me how ridiculous the news media can be when it comes to covering just about anything. Last week, I listened to much of the drivel about the “washed up” careers of several primary candidates in the States, and my question is this: how can someone decide that a candidate is washed up after only two primaries? So far, almost all the experts have been dead wrong in their predictions, and the only refreshing part about that is the fact that the voters have proven that, regardless of what the overtly manipulative media try to put forth, voters seem to be voting their conscience, for better or for worse. Obama and Clinton have turned into a bit of a horse race, which I never saw coming. Perhaps a dark horse will emerge as the next president of the United States. How does President Kucinich sound to you? Now that I am an unofficial member of AARP, I wonder who the “fossil-friendly” candidates are. Oldest person on the ice…jeesh!

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: