Friday, November 30, 2007

The Oppenheimer Report 11/30/07


Another U.S. Thanksgiving has come and gone. I loved seeing George Bush pardon a turkey. Who should be pardoning whom?! Thanksgiving has historically been my favorite holiday, and this year, to my great delight, dinner included only the immediate family. As is tradition, Shauna and I showed up in Buffalo around 3AM on the morning of Thanksgiving, and, as usual, when we walked into our room at the Holiday Inn, our room was unmade. The good news is that we were then upgraded to a better room on the top floor, which appealed to Jasper (because she now had higher vantage point from which to bark out the window). We turned in around 4AM and were then awakened at around 8AM to the yelling and screaming of crazy joggers, participating in the annual Buffalo “Turkey Trot”. As I whisked open the drapes, the first thing I saw was a group of joggers, dressed up like Pilgrims, trotting along in a tight formation and pushing a table with a mock turkey dinner down Delaware Avenue. It was all a bit surreal. I sleepily watched the thousands of joggers below stream by, many of them dressed in goofy costumes. When I took Jasper down for her morning constitutional, she barked at them all. That showed them … how dare all these people exhibit boundless energy, while I had none. Anyhow, I have much to be thankful for. Besides the fact that Shauna was able to attend this year, I was able to see my sister, brother-in-law, all my nephews and their wives, and we had my octogenarian mother and nonagenarian father at the dinner table with us. Family is everything.

At present, we are back in Toronto, but we have not unpacked, because we will soon be heading back up to Burk’s Falls. We understand from our builder that the roof trusses are up in the two front turrets and, as you can imagine, we are eager to see that roof go on. Hopefully, the roofer will begin work installing the steel roof next Monday. The most recent delay has been getting the spray foam insulation guys to do their work before the top deck of the roof goes on. Trying to get construction work done on time is difficult, because many of the best contractors are extremely busy. This Fall, the weather has been a factor as well. Now, with Christmas fast approaching, the push is on. Another delay to the “closing in” of the house, is that the first of two window shipments arrived the other day, damaged. We can now expect that replacement windows will likely not arrive until after the first of the year. Perhaps we will just tarp the whole house in and forget about windows and doors.

We are taking this time in Toronto to investigate some of the many options for plumbing fixtures. The other day, I was amused by something that Shauna and I noticed while we scoured the internet for the best buy on toilets. I couldn’t believe how many different models there are to choose from! We found toilets that cost up to $5000. That seems like a lot for a toilet, but then again, it’s more practical than jewelry. Toto (our front runner toilet at the moment) offers dozens of options, and each comes with a ridiculous name. Take for instance the “Carusoe”, the “Plymouth”, the “Soiree”, the Pacifica”, the “Guinevere”, the “Drake”, or the “Lloyd”. How does one come up with “Guinevere” as a model name for a toilet? Do they have toilets for all the different Knights of the Round Table? And how would you feel if your name was Lloyd? Do they offer a “Fred” or a “Charlie” Here’s a good name for a toilet: the “Evacua” or perhaps the “Plungemaster”? Why would someone name their toilets anyhow?

Now that we are almost into December, don’t get stressed. I spoke to Santa the other day, and he told me that plumbing fixtures are the gift that keeps on giving. If you’re stumped, buy the one you love a new toilet. May I suggest the “Evacua ” … available in mauve or lime green?
-Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2007 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: