Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Oppenheimer Report - 2/20/07



There has been a lot of talk in the local news of late about the issues of public transportation and commuting. Some expert on the radio made the point that many Toronto commuters pay over $400 per week to drive long distances across the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). Urban sprawl has pushed the middle class commuter further and further out into the “affordable” suburbs, and that enormous weekly commuter cost suggests that perhaps public transportation is a viable alternative. As much as I like to drive, I’m fed up with city traffic problems. When possible, I use public transportation in Toronto, because many times, it is simply easier than driving and parking. The other day, I heard it suggested that Toronto may, some day in the not too distant future, levy a “congestion tax” for commuters entering the downtown core. London, England did so and apparently it has had a positive effect on that city’s horrible traffic problem. Toronto’s traffic problem has gone from bothersome to practically unacceptable in the 13 years since I moved here.

Though I often use the subways, I haven’t taken the bus all that often. The other day, I took the bus, because I was in between two subway stops on Yonge St. Rather than walk a quarter mile in the wind and cold to the nearest subway station, I figured I’d use my new and improved (harder to counterfeit) TTC token to pay for a bus ride. Conveniently, there was a bus stop right across the street. It wasn’t long before the bus came, and I assumed, from the TTC map I’d consulted, that I was on the right bus. Off we went, heading south, and I quietly congratulated myself on my intelligent and energy-saving decision. We’d only traveled about three or four stops when the bus suddenly made a left turn. I got a sick feeling in my stomach, thinking I’d taken the wrong bus after all, and was now going to end up in “Scarberia” (derogatory Torontonian expression for the eastern suburb of Scarborough). Thankfully, that was not the case, and the bus immediately pulled into a subway station. With no announcement, the driver got off the bus, and some of the passengers, including myself, wondered what was going on. After a few minutes, a new driver boarded the bus and took his seat. Apparently, we were involved in a shift change. That was fine, but it would have been nice if they’d told us what was going on. After a short delay, we were back on our way, heading south. Then, about ten minutes later, the new bus driver announced: “this bus will be ending its route at the Rosedale subway station.” That station is about a mile north and short of where I needed to go, and I’m not exactly sure why this happened, because that bus was supposed to head all the way downtown. I was told by the surly bus driver that I needed to get off the bus, and board a southbound subway car to travel two lousy stops south. Would there be another charge? Would I need a transfer pass? Would lunch and drinks be served? I was cast out into public transit limbo to fend for myself. I waited patiently for the subway to arrive, and when it did, it was of course packed full of passengers. For someone not accustomed to taking public transportation, this was all a bit confusing. I suppose I will need to consult the “TTC Commuting for Dummies” manual before I venture out again. I specifically took the bus to avoid inconvenience, but this journey wasn’t particularly convenient. Still, for about $2.10, I can travel anywhere across the city, and I can avoid the stress of rush hour traffic. It’s a trade off, but I guess it’s worth it, especially in the winter months, when driving around the city becomes particularly problematic. I’m tempted to pick up a weekly pass, allowing me unlimited use of all TTC services. Then I can get REALLY lost. I still haven’t been on a streetcar and hope to ride one of those before they are rendered obsolete.

I noticed on the news the other day that they still haven’t buried soul singer James Brown. The legend lives on, along with the stench of his decomposing corpse. By the way, is it just me or does anyone else see a resemblance between James Brown and Condoleeza Rice? Separated at birth? At present, the lawyers are playing tug of war with Anna Nicole Smith’s body. She could be in the fridge for a while, because there’s big money at stake there. I think her coffin should have two bump outs to commemorate her enormous fake boobs. Just a suggestion.

Final comments … with all the press this week about celebrity meltdowns -- Britney Spears is the latest (excessive partying, skipping out of rehab, shaving her head so she looks like Daddy Warbucks) -- I genuinely find it sad that celebrity and wealth so often destroys people. I liken this latest Spears crash and burn to the downfall of Twinkie-hoovering poster boy for star-rot, Elvis Presley (except that I think he was talented). At some point, the celebrity becomes so wealthy and famous that he or she becomes surrounded by opportunistic yes men and women. Don’t these famous people have any real friends??? Nobody has the balls to say “take that spoon out of your snoz and get some help, you f-up!” I watched a little of an old Anna Nicole Smith interview on Larry King Live, and wondered how anybody close to her could have ignored the fact that the woman was seriously over-medicated. Regardless of what I (representing the judgmental public at large) might think about Smith as a human being, was there no one anywhere who loved her? I think all celebrities should be required to take public transportation at least once per week … it’s very grounding.

- Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2007 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: