Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Oppenheimer Report - 12/31/06


“HALFWAY”

“It’s a rainy New Year’s Eve, and it’s so hard to believe
That the woman I used to hold so tight won’t be spending tonight with me
From my high rise I can see all the parties in the street
But the joy and celebration seem so far away from me

‘Cause I’m halfway through this bottle, halfway through my blues
Halfway to oblivion, but I’m nowhere near halfway over you.

Headlights on the highway heading downtown for the count
But I just want to fly away, take me out of this crowded town
And the rain outside is timely, because I’ve recognized that finally
When I lost you, and I’ve lost you, that was such a foolish move

Now I’m halfway through this bottle, halfway though my blues
Halfway to oblivion, but I’m nowhere near halfway over you

It’s a rainy New Year’s Eve, and it’s so hard to believe
That the woman I used to hold so tight won’t be spending tonight with me
In a moment this year will end, and you’re out with some other man
And it tears me in two to think about you giving your love to somebody new … so

Cho: repeat

I wrote that song back in the late nineties on a particularly blue New Year’s Eve. Shauna was not feeling well, and we decided to order some Chinese food and quietly usher in the New Year at home. Contrary to the tone of the song, it actually turned into quite a pleasant evening, but that moment in time inspired me to write one of my better blues songs. I don’t know why I used to feel impelled to celebrate on New Year’s Eve. I’ve had and been to some good New Year’s Eve parties, but as often as not, I would have been better off at home, with the woman I love, eating Chinese take-out and watching the world’s oldest living teenager announce the ball drop in Times Square. I’m not sure Dick Clark will be involved this year, but that’s probably how we’ll welcome in 2007.

There seem to have been a lot of notable casualties this past week so, before the birth of 2007, I will begin with the Grim Reaper. Dubbed “The Godfather of Soul” and the “The Hardest Working Man in Show Business,” R&B legend James Brown died Christmas Day at the age of 73. I never could understand much of what he sang, but it’s hard not to move when I hear his music. When I think of James Brown I am reminded of that Eddie Murphy “Hot Tub” spoof from Saturday Night Live. A Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, Brown had more than one brush with the law. I recently read somewhere that he got his start in the music business after a stint in reform school. It’s sad that the most common file photo shown on the news before he died was his mug shot, taken following an aggravated assault charge in South Carolina. I think he and Nick Nolte had the same mug shot photographer. Another notable obituary: Gerald Ford, dead at 93. Ford will probably best be remembered as the President by default who pardoned Nixon, and historians will likely debate that decision until the end of time. Often depicted as clumsy and not-that-bright when he served (Chevy Chase did my favorite impression of him on Saturday Night Live), Ford probably looks like a rocket scientist now, especially when compared to our current Commander-in-Chief. Other notable obituaries: Steve “The Crocodile Hunter” Irwin, Peter Boyle, Shelly Winters, and the annoying old man down the hall who, every time we rode in the elevator together, asked me if I’d found Jesus (to which I almost always politely replied that I wasn’t looking for him). Former Iraqi tyrant Saddam Hussein was executed last Friday night, shortly after his desperate Hail Mary appeal was denied to become a legal resident of California. The arguments will linger on about the legitimacy of Hussein’s trial, as will the debates in the international community about the U.S. influence on his public vilification and swift execution. In this day and age, it was strange to see anyone with a hangman’s noose around his neck, given the North American aversion to capital punishment. I’m glad Hussein is gone, as I’m sure are many Iraqi countrymen who suffered under his oppressive rule. Still, his death underscores the hypocrisy of U.S. foreign policy. We used to feed that monster.

Finally, I don’t know where to begin with my resolutions. I’ve had so many meltdowns in the past two months, I suppose one of my resolutions should be to remain calmer in crises. Patience is always good, and I could use a lot more of that, especially with my long-suffering wife. I’d like to learn more about Muslims, and especially about the differences among them. I hope to see more of my parents in the coming year and in general, to be a better son to them. I want to write at least five good songs in the upcoming year. I’d like us to see one Academy-nominated film before the awards are announced in 2007. In 2006, I was not consistent in writing this report weekly, and I want to get back to that schedule. Overall, I hope to be more understanding and less judgmental. And, as I do every year, I vow not to say nasty things about the French. Shauna, Jasper and I wish you a happy, healthy, safe New Year … and if you’re going to get schnockered, do it at home or take a cab. Until next year!
- Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: