Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Oppenheimer Report 1/26/09


For the past ten days or so, it has been rather hectic at the Oppenheimer household in Buffalo. We juggled nursing schedules and made adjustments to allow for the somewhat more complicated care-giving challenges that now confront us. Everything seems to be settling down now, and my sister and brother-in-law left to go home last Friday. SNAFU is I think the word I’m looking for … “situation normal, all fouled up”. Dad is too weak to stand on his own, but he needs to be upright in a chair for at least part of the day. We’ve rented a Hoyer lift, which is a device for lifting a patient out of bed and moving him or her into a chair. It’s quite a handy little machine. Basically, it involves a sling with lifting straps which is wrapped around the patient’s torso, then attached to a portable hydraulic lift. One simply jacks the patient out of bed and, while suspended in mid air, wheels him over to the desired location and gently lowers him down. There’s a bit of a learning curve involved in using it properly, but most of our nurses seem familiar with the drill. It certainly makes things a lot easier. It is strange watching my dad hoisted in the air like a piece of cargo.

Much of what has transpired over the past two weeks has been physically and emotionally draining for everyone involved. After my sister left, the nurses suggested that I should take some R&R leave as well. A week ago last Saturday, my pal Bob and I had planned to meet in Toronto for the annual International Boat Show. That is an annual outing which we both enjoy. This year, I had to cancel because of the family crisis, but as a joke, Bob suggested that we go to a little boat show presently being held in Western New York … at a shopping mall in Niagara Falls, N.Y. Last Saturday, Bob and I drove up to the Summit Park Mall for the big event, and while a bunch of fishing boats and outboard motors displayed in a shopping mall is hardly an international boat show, it was free and somewhat entertaining. Mostly, it was good to take a small road trip with one of my oldest and certainly best friends. As we sometimes do when we’re in the area, we visited the site of the Love Canal disaster. Many of the houses in that area have been bulldozed and new houses have popped up here and there, but the enormous fenced-off mound where the original problem occurred (and was hopefully contained) still looms ominously in the distance. After this sacred pilgrimage was completed, we drove up the Robert Moses Pkwy., following the spectacular Niagara Gorge all the way up to Old Fort Niagara on the south shore of Lake Ontario. It was a frigid but beautiful blue sky day, and as I gazed at the distant skyline of Toronto across the churning lake, for a moment I was free of guilt, ambivalence, doubt, confusion, frustration, and the forty other feelings competing to erode my sanity.

I’ve have known many friends and acquaintances in my life so far. Some have disappointed me, and I am sure I have disappointed some of them. For the most part though, I have been fortunate to say that I can call some really great people my friends. Someone once told me that you only need one or two really good friends in your life, and I think that is probably true. Bob is just such a friend. I know he will always be there if and when I need him -- I rely on that -- and he knows that I am there for him. At any given time, that loyalty might not involve anything more than going to a crappy boat show together, or the silent, mutual appreciation of a scenic drive. It might be a phone call in a blue moment. It is our communication, it is our long, colorful history together; the petty larcenies we committed together in our youth, the rock concerts we attended together, the failed love interests, the not-so-legendary stories we embellish, the off-color humor we share that nourishes our self-esteem. Bob has my number, spots my BS a mile away and calls me on it. I have had many friends, but one really good friend helped me weather the craziness of the past two weeks. And besides, how many people do YOU know who could do their bonding at Love Canal?
Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2009 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: