Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Oppenheimer Report 1/21/09


1/19/09 - Today is Martin Luther King Day, and I probably would not have known that except for the fact that I am writing this week’s report from Buffalo. There is a nasty intestinal flu floating around Buffalo, and last week my mom caught it. Shortly thereafter, my Dad contracted it as well and ended up in the hospital. A week ago last Sunday, he was admitted into the Buffalo General Hospital after becoming dangerously dehydrated, and one of his many vigilant nurses convinced him her was in grave danger if he didn’t go. Up North, Shauna and I agreed that at least one of us needed to remain there to address some critical code issues with the new house. After we ensured that Shauna would have indefinite support and assistance up there, I drove down to Buffalo on Monday. I could come back for her if needs be, but there was nothing much she could do for me down in Buffalo for the time being. Divide and conquer.

The past week has been a roller coaster. Doctors and nurses, opinions presented and difficult decisions made, and all the while we’re trying to focus on the main objective: doing what is right for Dad. We almost lost him on Wednesday, and I was told to bring Mom and my sister down to the hospital, perhaps to say goodbye. Then that evening, when I called over to the hospital to check on his condition, his nurse was laughing at one of his sarcastic zingers. We become hopeful, then there is a setback, then there is hope again, and so it goes. The uncertainty is hard. After reviewing a host of unattractive options, my sister and I have made a plan to allow him to come home, if he is able. As I am writing this, I’m not sure that will be possible, but he has been Lazarus, and surprised us many times before.

1/20/09 – Dad and I watched the Obama inauguration from his hospital room. We’ve made arrangements for him to be discharged tomorrow and to be brought home by ambulance. Before that happens, I need to disassemble and move his hospital bed from one room into another in the house, and to figure out a way to bring his motorized recliner/lift chair upstairs to his new bedroom. However long he now has, he’ll reside in his old (big) bedroom, with cable T.V., good nursing care, and whatever he needs to be comfortable. I didn’t really need to sell him on the idea of coming home from the hospital, but I did anyhow; I told him that he will now have perhaps the largest, best furnished single bed hospital room in Buffalo.
1/21/09- Dad was brought home by ambulance around noon, and with the help of four strong paramedics, he’s now resting comfortably upstairs. I went up and checked on him a few minutes ago and he’s sound asleep, sporting his bright red Cornell sherpa hat (he gets cold easily). Where we go from here is anybody’s guess. I know he is near the end, but how near I haven’t a clue.

If one good thing has come out of this difficult time, it is that I have been able to spend time with my sister and mother – more time than I remember spending with them in a long, long while. Father Time has really blindsided me and I was somewhat embarrassed by how out of touch I have been with them. Phone calls are no substitute for face time. In the past week there has been a lot of reminiscing, a lot of laughter, some tears, and the underlying confidence that, as a family we are, like most families, dysfunctional in some ways, but fundamentally solid in our foundation. Dad, I’m glad you’re home, sleep well tonight. Sorry the Sabres couldn’t pull off a win for you tonight, but I hope there will be other games for you to watch. 11:23 PM
Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2009 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

No comments: